Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Honduran Snow Day

It’s a teacher’s(and students) dream. You’re reading over the next day’s lesson plans and realize you have a few materials to prepare. However, you just don’t feel like it! The day thus far has been spent on others and the last thing you want to do now is work some more! As you begin to brainstorm possible ways to procrastinate you receive a phone call. No class tomorrow because of snow!
A similar situation played out last night and today I enjoyed a relaxing Honduran snow day. At about 7:00 I was sitting in my room looking over the next days lesson plans when my roommates and I received a call that classes at Destino del Reino were canceled for Tuesday. Of course, we really don’t have snow days in Honduras, the country is too close to the equator for snow. However, we do have an interesting political situation and this was the cause of the canceled classes.
If you haven’t been following the situation in Honduras here’s a couple articles to fill you in.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/09/22/honduras.embassy/index.html
http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0922/p90s04-woam.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8268056.stm

We’re fine and so far, this hasn’t dramatically affected our lives here in Siguatepeque. A 6pm- 7am curfew was placed on the country yesterday and was extended to 6pm today. However, you wouldn’t know it in my nieghborhood. People are out and about, all the pulperias(corner stores) are open, and I didn’t see one policeman or military official all day. Of course, it could have been very different at the center of town. There’s a rumor that the electricity might be turned off but so far, we have power. The main impact of the coup(or is it really a coup?) is that I didn’t go to work today and spent it hanging out with my roommates. Time well spent. We just got the call that classes will be canceled tomorrow and that the curfew has been extended. I kind of hope we’d go, I like my students. At least I’ll have plenty of time to update my blog and upload pictures. I've been taking some videos of my students and other things of interest and hope to get some of them up to!
Pray that this time remains peaceful for all of Honduras and that classes resume quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment