Saturday, October 15, 2011

Over the Mountains and the Seas....


Here's the latest Sponsor update. I'm going to begin publishing the monthly updates on my blog so you guys can enjoy them too!


Destino's English Staff 2011-2012 From left: Sheena Rader, Jenna Murphy, Dani Copa, Amanda Bowen(Me!) and Amanda Bruin.




Dear Sponsors,
The 2011-2012 school year is well underway! During the fall semester, from elementary school to college, I felt like the time flew by. Now that I'm a teacher, it still feels like I've been in school for two weeks and then I check the calendar and realize that two months have already passed! So much has happened since my last update. Classes are well underway and all the students are advancing academically and spiritually. My roommates and I were able to attend a conference for Hondurasn missionaries here in Sigua a few weeks ago. Due to the school schedule I was only able to attend a few sessions but it was great, nevertheless. The keyn ote speaker was Jim Elliot's brother-in-law.

The Honduran schedule is divided into four parciales(kind of like midterms). We're just a few weeks away from the first round of exams at school. I'm very pleased with my student's progress. They're all so eager to practice their English and their enthusiasm keeps me motivated. I'm also very pleased with how my Spanish is improving and how many opportunities have opened up for me because of it. My responsibilities at school now include my 2nd, 3rd and 7th grade English classes, 7th grade music class, assisting in PE classes and presenting the country of the week during devotional.

I have a few prayer requests. The first, safety. My roommates and I were robbed a few weeks ago. We just lost a cellphone and a camera. The incident was over in a couple of minutes and we walked away unharmed, just nervous. Please pray that we will not be distracted from our task of ministering to the students. Also, the ministry is currently in need of one more person to come teach gym class and assistant in some of my English classes. So....if you are(or know somebody who is) willing to relocate to a foreign country, take on some challenges, and help out in my classes please let me know!

To end this update on a high note, I'll share some great news about one of my 2nd graders. Karina, a student from the children's home, was saved last week! During my first year working with the Destino ministry Karina was in my 1st grade class but due to her responsibilities at home she rarely attended. Last fall, Rhonda asked her parents if Karina could come live at the children's home during the week so she could continue her studies, she had quit school so she could work full-time. Fortunately, the parents agreed and it has been great to have her back and now to celebrate salvation!

It's hard to believe that in only two months I'll be back in the states for a Christmastime visit. I will be arriving on Saturday December the 17th and return to Honduras on January 2nd. Hopefully, I will be able to plan some visits to share what the Lord is doing here in Siguatepeque. If you are interested in having me come speak to your church, youth group, Sunday School class, etc. please contact me. Thank you all so much for your continued support.


Sami with his corona/crown. James 1:12 "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. Love reading your blog! Will keep you in my prayers as always

    ReplyDelete